***News and Updates
The Santa Barbara Cross Country Challenge is a contest for hang gliders and paragliders to benefit the Santa Barbara County Chapter of the American Red Cross and Hurricane Katrina Victims. Dean Stratton and Bo Criss are the event organizers.
When is it?
The SBXC Challenge will be held over 6 weekends in November and December.
(November 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27 and December 3, 4, 10, 11)
Where is it?
Pilots can launch from any mountain site in Santa Barbara or Ojai.
What are the challenges?
There are 7 ways to win. Challenges 1, 2, 6, 7 are on the honor system.
Challenges 3, 4, and 5 are part of the fun GPS Challenge to encourage better use
of your GPS during and after flight. To spread the fun around, if you win more
than 1 challenge,
we will award the 2nd place pilot and so on:
- Fly the farthest distance in your 3 best flights out of the possible 12 days of competition - Paraglider and Hang Glider Divisions. The distance flown will be based on straight line distance from launch to landing rounded up to the nearest 10th of a mile and GPS confirmed on the honor system.
Do the most mountain launches during the 12 days of competition on the honor system. Top landings with relaunches are not allowed.
- Run the race course the fastest - Paraglider and Hang Glider Divisions. This is a GPS certified event. Click here for more details.
- Do the most laps in a single flight between Thermal Factory and Westbowl - Paraglider and Hang Glider Divisions. This is a GPS certified event. Click here for more details.
- Stay up in the air for the longest time in a single flight. This is a GPS certified event. Click here for more details.
- Raise the most money for the Red Cross and Hurricane Victims.
- Have the most fun flying in Santa Barbara and Ojai this fall. GPS certification and Honor System rules apply here as well.
How does it involve the Red Cross and Hurricane Victims?
Pilots will look to friends, family, co-workers and anyone else who wants to support the cause and ask for a per-mile pledge,
per flight pledge, or a flat fee pledge. 100% of pledges go to the American Red Cross and are tax deductible. Click here for more info.
Pilots will e-mail Bo Criss after each weekend with their flying statistics for categories #1 and #2 - how many flights, how far they went, pictures and stories if they want them posted. Pilots will e-mail Dean Stratton after each weekend with their track logs for categories #3, #4 and #5. We will keep a running tally which you can see in the Flight Log section.
Great Flights and Soft Landings!
Many Thanks to Our Event Sponsors!